Not sure where to start with securing your company’s data? Try these 5 tips to start your business on the road to better cybersecurity:
- Educate your employees. A large portion of data breaches are not related to the security of your software; rather, they’re caused by a lack of education among employees about how to recognize and stop a security breach. Create a program in your business to educate employees on cybersecurity issues annually.
- Backup all of your data. You’ll be amazed at how many major data losses can be prevented by simply having a secure backup copy of company files. Create multiple backup copies on a regular schedule, using secure cloud-based technology.
- Keep all devices updated. This includes not only the computers in the office, but any laptops employees take up or mobile devices they use to access company data. Outdated software is easier to hack, so installing those patches and updates regularly is vital.
- Use SSL data encryption. SSL is the standard technology used for encrypting data in a business. Implementing this takes some know-how, so if you haven’t done it already, talk to a data security specialist to get help.
- Limit employee access to data. The more people getting into your company’s files, the more likely it is that something will be lost or stolen. Implement tiered access, which restricts employees’ access to only the data they need to complete their jobs.
If you want to make your business more secure, contact the Millennium Technology Group to get professional services for data protection and cybersecurity.